~ Empower. Inspire. Encourage. Innovate. Enhance. ~ Autorizar. Inspirar. Animar. Innovar. Realzar.~


Oh the places you will go!


I was doing a little cleaning up around the house today when I came across a gift a former supervisor and dear friend had given to me. The book Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Seuss. 


I picked the book up and read the inscription she had written inside and smiled. My mind wondering off as I read, “...thank you for everything you’ve done for me in the past year; your hard work was appreciated. Best of luck in your future endeavors, I know you you’ll succeed and do great things…”

It was nearly two years ago… I was happily employed at an elite college, chalk full of an elitist supervisory board that was haunted by its history of heavy turnover and poor leadership. One day the walls began closing in, one by one, beginning with my supervisor’s finally, to me. Rather than deal with their secret agendas, including that of my supposed best friend...I walked. I have never been interested in drama or politicking.

“And when things start to happen, don’t worry. Don’t stew. Just go right along. You’ll start happening too.”

My head held high knowing I made the right decision; I threw myself into college full time. I hadn’t much time left, my children all raised, sooo why not to just go for it?? Well, go for it I did, I spent the first summer obtaining 27 credits. I was thrilled. Fall came and I enrolled in every class I could and again in the spring. It was not easy. The first semester I had read 19 books and the second I read 24. My head was swimming and I was really struggling to keep my focus.

“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.”


When spring break came, I needed a break and, the opportunity to visit Guatemala came and I was all in. A service and exploration trip. Never in my life had my heart been more filled with love, joy, and purpose. Upon return to my lifestyle in the states I became increasingly more aware of how very unimportant some of the clutter, baggage, and things, my friends, family and I cling to are. I just started to let go. Including, the bitter resentment toward the buffoons within the corporate office I had been employed. A sweet taste of freedom filled my soul.


“OH! THE PLACES YOU WILL GO!”


With a renewed sense of self,  grateful for my full, happy, beautiful, life I count my blessings to be able to fulfill my dream of teaching and volunteering abroad. I have strengthened my resolve and a new found determination. I know my purpose. I have direction. The beauty is I don’t have to pretend to fulfill someone else’s version of happiness. I don’t have to lie, cheat, or hurt anyone. In fact, I could not be anymore opposite and proud of it!
“You won’t lag behind, because you’ll have speed. You’ll pass the whole gang and you’ll soon take the lead. Wherever you fly, you’ll be the best of the best. Wherever you go, you will top the rest.”
My return trip to Guatemala is in the works, and I am planning a spring break in Nicaragua. I am now toying with the idea of volunteering in Morocco. Such a good life! I am thrilled to be able to share this second trip with an old-new friend. For me, it is all part of the belief in empowering women to empower themselves; one girl at a time starting with the ones closest to you.
“and will you succeed? Yes! You will, indeed (98% parent guaranteed.)”

1 comment:

Jewles said...

Gawd I love you! Have u crawled inside my head & taken my thoughts from me? Toooo coincetental ~browsing threw grocery store the other day I came across the VERY same book "The places you can go" by MY favorite DR SUESS. :)
You have a gr8 sense of direction w/ youre life MIss Juli & I am honored to be able to share w you this special journey to Gautemala! ~~God is good~~